The design stage is complete for the 2012 Form plaque. I worked with members of the Form of 2012 during the previous School year to come up with a list of events, and the following was chosen by them to represent the 6th Form experiences of the Form of 2012:
- Upper left: An open book with the initials MGH. The book symbol represents the Rural Record, a diary of day-to-day School life that was kept from 1857 into the early twentieth century. Michael Hirschfeld’s initials are incorporated on the pages of the open book, symbolizing the beginning of his Rectorship and representing the recording of the event of the change in leadership into School history.
- Upper right: The symbol for the Delphians – the Greek letter Delta surrounded by a laurel wreath – winners of the Club Cup competition.
- Upper center and middle left: The World Trade Center towers and the date 9/11/11 – marking the tenth anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attack.
- Lower right: A snowman holding a Jack-o-lantern representing the big snowstorm on Halloween – the only significant snowstorm of the winter season.
- Lower left and center: The Lindsay Center for Mathematics and Science, dedicated on November 29, 2011.
I will now begin working on the carving process, with the plan to have the finished plaque to present at Anniversary weekend in June this year. Photos of the process will be posted on the blog, so stay tuned for more information!