The design stage is complete for the 2016 form plaque. I worked with representatives from the Form of 2016 during the school year to come up with a list of events, and the following were chosen by them to represent their 6th Form experiences at SPS:
- Upper Left: Puzzle pieces with the letters “SPS” represent the first SPS Puzzle Hunt day
- Upper Right: A baseball bat, a section of track, and a hockey stick, spell out the letters “ISL” to mark the decision to end membership in the Independent School League after the 2016-17 school year
- Center: A Bald Eagle and a Cuban Trogon bird (the national bird of Cuba) perch together on an olive branch to represent the normalization of relations between the governments of Cuba and the United States
- Bottom Left and Right: Tuck and Hargate, shown with a double ended arrow between them, represents the renovations begun this spring that will result in the exchange of functions between these two buildings.
I will be posting photos of the carving process here on the Form Plaque Project blog and on the Form Plaque Project Facebook page when I begin working on the carving process of the 2016 plaque
Categories: Design Process, Form of 2016
Tags: American Eagle, arrow, Bald Eagle, baseball bat, bird, construction, Cuban Trogon, eagle, Hargate, hockey stick, Independent School League, ISL, olive branch, puzzle, Puzzle Hunt, puzzle pieces, SPS, Tocororo, track, Tuck
The design stage is complete for the 2002 form plaque. I worked with members of the Form of 2002 to come up with a list of events, and the following was chosen by them to represent their 6th Form experiences at SPS:
- Upper Left: The Stanley Cup representing the visit it made to SPS in November of 2001
- Upper Right: Lower School Boathouse and dock which was torn down that year
- Center Left and Right: Two NH songbirds on either side of the design representing the donation of SPS land to the Audubon Society for use as a bird sanctuary
- Bottom Left and Right: The Manhattan skyline with the World Trade Center towers intact, to commemorate the September 11th terrorist attack
When I begin working on the carving of the 2002 plaque I will be posting photos of the carving process here on the blog and on the Form Plaque Project Facebook page.
Categories: Design Process, Form of 2002
Tags: 9/11, boathouse, Chickadee, design, dock, drawing, Form plaque, Lower School Boathouse, Manhattan, New Hampshire Audubon Society, Nuthatch, September 11, skyline, songbird, SPS, SPS Form Plaque Project, Stanley Cup, World Trade Center
The upper left corner of the plaque shows a cake topped with a vinyl record to honor the Steve Aoki music event. The upper right shows a shield with the Isthmian symbol celebrating their win of the Club Cup. In the center is Mount Everest with the Nepalese flag, representing the devastating April 2015 earthquake. The bottom left has a laptop with a clock on it, representing 24-hour access to the internet in dorms. The bottom right, a stack of alphabet blocks represents a different academic schedule during each of the Form’s four years.
Categories: Completed Plaques, Form of 2015
Tags: alphabet, blocks, cake, Club Cup, DJ, Form of 2015, Form plaque, internet access, Isthmians, process, record, shield, SPS, SPS Form Plaque Project, Steve Aoki, vinyl
A ribbon with “O Ye Fire and Heat” wraps around the top edges of the plaque, referencing the inscription on the Powerhouse, revealed when the ivy was removed during building maintenance. To represent the Gulf War, the upper left features a shield with a map of Iraq, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. The upper right shows the symbol for woman with “XX” in the center to commemorate the 20th anniversary of coeducation at SPS. A Cypress tree in the top center represents the performance “Cypress Trees” – produced and directed by members of the Form of 1991 – that reflected the emotional journey of women of color at SPS. The center features the Rectors’ Ruler with Charles Halsey Clark’s initials. The ruler was used to illustrate a talk he gave to the Sixth Form. The bottom features Ohrstrom Library, dedicated with much celebration in April 1991.
Categories: Completed Plaques, Form of 1991
Tags: basswood, carving, coeducation, cypress tree, Desert Shield, Desert Storm, drama, fire, Gulf War, hand carved, heat, Iraq, Kuwait, music, Ohrstrom Library, poetry, powerhouse, Saudi Arabia, wood carving