The design stage is complete for the 2010 Form plaque. I worked with members of the Form of 2010 to come up with a list of events, and the following was chosen by them to represent events from their 6th Form year:
- Upper left: Brick house moved prior to construction of Lindsay
- Upper right: Earthquake in Haiti
- Lower center: Heart with musical notes and SPS shield representing the (S)P.S. I Love You musical Valentine’s Day event put on at Ohrstrom Library
- Bottom left and right: A camera and photograph with the initial BC, commemorating faculty member Brendan Cohen who documented all four years of the Form of 2010 through his many photographs
I will now begin carving the 2010 plaque and will be posting photos of the carving process as it progresses – stay tuned for more information!
Categories: Design Process, Form of 2010
Tags: All you need is love, Brendan Cohen, brick house, camera, earthquake, Haiti, heart, move, music, photograph, shield, SPS shield
The design stage is complete for the 2000 Form plaque. I worked with members of the Form of 2000 to come up with a list of events, and the following was chosen by them to represent events from their 6th Form year:
- Top Center: A Koinobori (fish-shaped wind sock) along the top of the design represents the 50th anniversary of the Seikei School exchange
- Center Left and Right: Oak leaves represent the 2000 class gift of an oak tree planted on the grounds
- Center: A nutcracker in center represents the 20th anniversary performance of the Nutcracker Ballet, which was choreographed by Lisa de Ribère
- Background: The crossed crew oars represents the girls and boys crews’ victories at the Worcester Regatta
- Bottom Left and Right: Two Roman numeral “M”s (1000) represent the beginning of the new millennium
I will now begin carving of the 2000 plaque and will be posting photos of the carving process as it progresses – stay tuned for more information!
Categories: Design Process, Form of 2000
Tags: 1000, 2000, crew, fish, Koinobori, Lisa de Ribère, M, millennium, nutcracker, Nutcracker Ballet, oak, oak leaves, oars, Red Oak, Roman Numerals, Seikei School, wind sock, Worcester Regatta
The carving is completed for the 2014 form plaque. The plaque commemorates the following events from the 6th Form year of the Form of 2014:
- Lower left: A penguin in formal attire representing the Senior Prom.
- Lower right: A penguin with hockey stick and puck representing the girls varsity hockey team’s participation in the Frozen Fenway event.
- Center background: The three evergreen trees – symbol of the Isthmian club, commemorating their win of the Club Cup
- Top left and right: A ribbon banner with the words “Many more hills to climb” an excerpt from the Nelson Mandela quote:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended.
From: Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela, p. 554, Little, Brown & Company (1994).
Now that the carving stage is completed the plaque will be oiled and painted before being put on display for Anniversary/Graduation weekend at the end of May.
Categories: Carving Process, Form of 2014
Tags: basswood, bow tie, carving, Club Cup, evergreen, formal, Frozen Fenway, hockey, hockey stick, Isthmians, Long Walk to Freedom, Many more hills to climb, Nelson Mandela, penguin, prom, puck, SPS, SPS Form Plaque Project, trees